[Samba] How to Change UIDs

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Sep 6 06:55:08 UTC 2019

On 05/09/2019 22:45, Roy Eastwood wrote:
> Rowland,
> I must be missing something here.  Why can't the OP set the UID in ADUC to match that required in the other system?  The Samba
> Domain member can use the ad backend, (rather than the rid), and no doubt file permissions will have to be readjusted accordingly,
> but at least the UID's will match the other system.   The Windows DC doesn't care about the RFC2307 attributes, so that shouldn't be
> affected.

It all depends on your definition of 'UID' ;-)

The OP is using the winbind 'rid' backend and as such, is unlikely to
have uidNumber & gidNumber attributes in AD. He also hasn't told us just
what he is trying to connect to.

Just changing what 'id' or 'getent'  produces is unlikely to be enough
if he is trying to connect from one AD domain to another e.g. changing a
user in the 'SAMDOM' domains UID from 1234 to 4321 would still make the
user a member of the 'SAMDOM' domain, but it would make the user a new user.

What I also cannot understand why he cannot sort this out himself, try
going to 'www.bestgateeng.com'

Rowland