[Samba] Samba Share with user and no password

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Sep 5 14:14:55 UTC 2019

On 05/09/2019 14:14, basti via samba wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i have migrate a Samba (3.0.20b-3.19-1616-SUSE) to debian 9 (4.5.16-Debian).
Keep upgrading, 4.5.16 is EOL ;-)

> On the old suse users are created with smbpasswd -an foo
> On Windows (10) users have a User account with also empthy passwords. No
> AD or NT4-Domain (round about 10 Users)
Boy, you really don't like doing things securely.

> Then I try to connect to the share smbclient -NL \\192.xxx.xxx.xxx work.
> Connect from Windows to share with no password dosed work.
I take it 'dosed' is really 'does not'

> Set a Samba Password and connect to share with this works also.
That is how it is supposed to work.

> I also read
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Standalone_Server
Good.

> Is there a way to connect Windows 10 with username and no password to
> samba share?

I really do not think this is a good idea, anybody who gets access to
your lan, only needs to find out a username and they have access to
everything on your standalone server. However, if you must use blank
passwords, try adding 'null passwords = yes' to your smb.conf.

Rowland