[Samba] How to Change UIDs

Tyrus Shivers tyrus.shivers at bestgateeng.com
Thu Sep 5 14:12:42 UTC 2019

Hello,

I am using Winbind and Samba to tie in Linux VMs with a Windows DC for
authentication. The UIDs are automatically assigned when I create a new
user in Active Directory.

I need to manually change the UIDs of my users to a UID that is used on
another network so they can access a specific share. How can I change the
UID successfully and still be able to authenticate with the DC. Also, how
can I manually assign UIDs in the future for new users?

I am using Samba version 4.8
samba-winbind version 4.8

My smb.conf is below:

workgroup = DOMAIN
password server = server.domain.com
realm = DOMIAN.com
security = ads
idmap config * : range = 3000-9999
idmap config * : backend = rid
idmap config DOMAIN : range = 10000-19999
idmap config DOMAIN : backend = rid
allow trusted domain = no
template shell = /bin/bash
kerberos method = secrets only
winbind use default domain = true
winbind offline logon = false
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
winbind refresh tickets = yes
encrypt passwords = yes
restrict anonymous = 2
template homedir = /home/%D/%U

--
V/R
Tyrus Shivers
tyrus.shivers at bestgateeng.com

<tyrus.shivers at bestgateeng.com>
This e-mail transmission and any documents, files or previous e-mail
messages attached to it, may be privileged and confidential and is intended
only for the use of the intended recipient of this message.  If you are not
the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, disclosure,
retention, copying, dissemination, distribution or use of any of the
information contained in, or attached to this e-mail transmission is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error,
please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail or by telephone at
the above number and delete this e-mail message and its attachments.