[Samba] Questions about 2n dc and samba update

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Sep 5 10:10:32 UTC 2019

On 05/09/2019 10:52, Trenta sis via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your information about DNS config.
> About second server and update, I understand that First I have to
> transfer role to new added, demote old, and then rejoin and transfer
> fsmo roles to source server, right?
Yes, you will have to transfer the FSMO roles to the new DC before
demoting the old one, but you don't have to transfer them back, any DC
can hold some or all the FSMO roles.
> My question is related with demote and transfer FSMO roles, this task
> are stable and works correct? I'm not clear to demote main server, now
> with 4.4.5 because no rolback direct  in case of failure...
FSMO transfer is fairly stable on the later Samba versions (there was a
recent minor glitch, but this has been fixed), so I would transfer them
using samba-tool on the new Samba DC.

> Our actual 4.4.5 has multiple cpu problems, added 4vcpus but is an old
> version with singe process... My question is if adding second server
> and if will generate many cpu usage to replicate, all day or only
> during initial sync... to 4.10.7

You shouldn't have a problem.

Rowland