[Samba] DNS question

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Sep 5 09:36:36 UTC 2019

On 05/09/2019 09:01, Christian via samba wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> we use debian stretch with Louis's 4.10.5 packages and bind9_dlz
> backend. There are two AD DCs with redundant ISC DHCP servers on them.
> The DHCP servers are updating the DNS along the lines of
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_DHCP_to_update_DNS_records_with_BIND9
>
> but with nsupdate commands replaced by suitable calls to "samba-tool" (I
> had problems getting the nsupdate approach to work with the redundant
> dhcp servers on the second server).

You as well ;-)

Just in case it was just myself, I haven't update the wikipage, but I
will now.

>   I am trying to debug some strange
> network issues right now. For example, when I ssh to the DCs, the login
> process sometimes stalls for extended periods of time without even
> asking for the username. Could DNS be part of the mix?

Shouldn't be unless you are doing something strange like using a dhcp
address on the DC.

> Is using the
> calls to samba-tool a bad idea? Could this be related to the "lockup
> problem"?
It isn't for myself.

> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/BIND9_DLZ_DNS_Back_End#The_Lockup_Problem
>
> Would that be different if I use nsupdate vs samba-tool? Would I be
> better off with the internal DNS? If I switch to the internal DNS, are
> existing zones and entries transferred? Thanks for any insights and best
> wishes,
>
> Christian

If it is the problem (it has never happened to myself, but then I do not
have a large domain) , then you may wish to follow the suggestion of
using an external bind9 dns server, but it would have been nice if the
guy who added the 'The Lockup Problem' to the wiki had also added
instructions on how to do this ;-)

Changing to the internal dns server shouldn't change AD (which is where
the records are stored) much.

I do not know if samba-tool will update the records if using the
internal dns server, I presume it would, but I do know that I couldn't
get the old way with nsupdate to work with the internal dns server, but
this was quite a while ago.

Rowland