[Samba] DNS question

Christian chanlists at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 5 08:01:28 UTC 2019

Dear list,

we use debian stretch with Louis's 4.10.5 packages and bind9_dlz
backend. There are two AD DCs with redundant ISC DHCP servers on them.
The DHCP servers are updating the DNS along the lines of

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Configure_DHCP_to_update_DNS_records_with_BIND9

but with nsupdate commands replaced by suitable calls to "samba-tool" (I
had problems getting the nsupdate approach to work with the redundant
dhcp servers on the second server). I am trying to debug some strange
network issues right now. For example, when I ssh to the DCs, the login
process sometimes stalls for extended periods of time without even
asking for the username. Could DNS be part of the mix? Is using the
calls to samba-tool a bad idea? Could this be related to the "lockup
problem"?

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/BIND9_DLZ_DNS_Back_End#The_Lockup_Problem

Would that be different if I use nsupdate vs samba-tool? Would I be
better off with the internal DNS? If I switch to the internal DNS, are
existing zones and entries transferred? Thanks for any insights and best
wishes,

Christian