[Samba] 4.9.12 operation unavailable without authentication

Mike Ray mray at xes-inc.com
Tue Sep 3 17:50:35 UTC 2019

I have Samba in production (4.9.6-12 on Ubuntu 18.04) which is working well.

However, we are several releases behind so I am gearing up to upgrade to the latest 4.9 release.

As part of the preparations (and for other reasons), I spun up an upgraded DC cluster in our development environment (4.9.12-15 on Ubuntu 18.04).

The initial setup seemed to work and now I have two DCs that appear to be replicating.

As part of our setup, we have a health check script that runs daily, which runs a variety of commands to verify everything is OK.

On the production cluster, this works without issue.

However, on the development cluster, "samba-tool ldapcmp" returns:

ERROR(ldb): uncaught exception - LDAP error 1 LDAP_OPERATIONS_ERROR -  <00002020: Operation unavailable without authentication> <>
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py", line 178, in _run
    return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/ldapcmp.py", line 972, in run
    outf=self.outf, errf=self.errf)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/ldapcmp.py", line 79, in __init__
    self.domain_netbios = self.find_netbios()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/ldapcmp.py", line 115, in find_netbios
    scope=SCOPE_SUBTREE, attrs=["nETBIOSName"])

I did not get any hits in the changelog when I did brief searching for that error.

Does anyone know what has changed in regards to this tool? What do I need to add for appropriate authentication (I tried using the --username/password and --username2/password2 flags but got the same error)?

Mike Ray