[Samba] TLS questions

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Sep 2 11:54:59 UTC 2019

On 02/09/2019 12:18, Andrew Walker wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 5:20 AM Rowland penny via samba
> <samba at lists.samba.org <mailto:samba at lists.samba.org>> wrote:
>
>     OK, I have figured this out and you do not need a certificate ;-)
>
>     Log into the Freenas web gui as root.
>
>     I used the winbind 'ad' backend, but you could probably use the 'rid'
>     backend instead.
>
>     Services -> SMB -> Configure
>
>     Workgroup: SAMDOM
>     Local Master: NO
>     Domain Logons: NO
>     Time server For Domain: NO
>
>     UNIX Extension; YES
>     Zeroconf share discovery: YES
>     Hostnames Lookups: YES
>     Allow Execute Always: YES
>     Obey Pam Restrictions: YES
>
>     Range Low: 3000
>     Range High: 7999
>
>     NOTE: the above range is for the default (*) domain
>
>     Click 'SAVE'
>
>     Directory Services -> Active Directory -> ADVANCED MODE
>
>     Click 'EDIT IDMAP' and set the DOMAIN range before doing anything else
>
>     Range Low: 10000
>     Range High: 999999
>     Schema mode: rfc2307
>
>     Click 'SAVE'
>
>     Active Directory -> ADVANCED MODE
>
>     Domain Name: samdom.example.com <http://samdom.example.com>
>     Domain Account Name: Administrator
>     Domain Account Password: xxxxxxxxxx
>
>     Encryption Mode: Off
>     Certificate: NONE
>
>     UNIX extensions: YES
>     Use Default Domain: YES
>     Allow DNS updates: YES # not sure about this, but set it anyway
>
>     Disable Freenas updates: YES
>
>     Site Name: Default-First-Site-Name
>     Kerberos Realm: SAMDOM.EXAMPLE.COM <http://SAMDOM.EXAMPLE.COM>
>     Idmap backend: ad
>     Winbind NSS info: rfc2307
>
>     Enable
>
>     Click 'SAVE' and you should join the domain
>
>     Rowland
>

>  "Allow DNS updates" should be checked for most situations. When it's
> unchecked the server doesn't do dynamic DNS updates (like when
> "clustering=yes"). It's related to an HA product.
That makes it like most Unix domain members and wouldn't affect me, I
use DHCP to update dns records ;-)

> The directory services code is being significantly rewritten for the
> next version of FreeNAS (11.3). Most of the parameters you've
> highlighted as unnecessary are actually being removed. If you only
> want to use the RID backend, you typically need to only enter "Domain
> Name", "Domain Account Name", and "Domain Account Password". Thank you
> for highlighting the need to configure idmap ranges prior to joining
> AD. AD site (assuming such exists) will be automatically detected and
> workgroup is automatically detected and populated. I believe in most
> cases the "tests" requested in the forums are to kinit and then "net
> -d 5 -k ads join".
>
> Andrew

All fair comments, I just tested it because I couldn't understand why it
seemed to require a certificate to join the domain, something I have
never used.

You probably do not need to set the ranges before the join, but you
definitely need to set them before starting Samba.

Rowland