[Samba] to shares access from non-member clients/nodes

Joachim Lindenberg samba at lindenberg.one
Sun Sep 1 07:45:20 UTC 2019

To the original question
> Should nodes/clients outside of domain (non-members) be able to access (with user+pass) Samba shares?
I  was tempted to write "yes, of course", but then I realized the share I was thinking of is hosted by windows rather than samba...
What does work: non-domain clients can connect to a windows share hosted by a domain member using domain\user + password. I am using that frequently. Now if I try similar with a samba share it fails. The only samba shares I run are those shared by the domain controllers, thus I tried "net use \\boa.samba.lindenberg.one\sysvol /user:samba\joachim", but after supplying the password several times I get system error 5 permission denied. Ok, sysvol is not really relevant to non-domain clients, but what that tells me is that there is a difference in behavior between samba and windows servers.
I am not ruling out it can be a configuration issue as well, but at least looking at the security tab of the shares with windows explorer I cannot really tell why it should fail.
Thanks, Joachim