[Samba] Samba Web Administration Tool (SWAT)

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Oct 30 08:45:47 UTC 2019

On 29/10/2019 17:48, Steve Litt via samba wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 11:59:20 +0000
> Gerard Seibert via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> I know that this has probably been asked before. As a long time user
>> of Samba, I remember using SWAT to configure Samba. It did seem, at
>> least to me, to simplify things. At the very least, it did prevent me,
>> and possibly other users, from creating simple syntax errors.
> Hi Gerard,
>
> I like programs like SWAT for just the reason you say: You don't need
> to Eidetic memory every last option to prevent a simple syntax error.
> The fact that you didn't receive an answer, and the fact that I didn't
> receive an answer to the same question about six years ago, leads me to
> conclude there's no such thing.
SWAT was removed quite some time ago, it had numerous problems, but we
do have 'testparm'. This will check smb.conf for syntax errors etc. We
also have a manpage for smb.conf 'man smb.conf', this shows all the
possible parameters and the possible values for each parameter along
with its default setting. There are also numerous other manpages and
last, but not least, there is the Samba wiki:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page

Rowland