[Samba] Samba 3.6.23 (IBM version), Windows AD at the functional 2003 level

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Oct 30 08:05:31 UTC 2019

On 29/10/2019 22:47, Bob Wyatt via samba wrote:
> My apologies (again!) for asking about this old, venerable release.
>
> The client is upgrading to 4.10 or 4.11 in early December.
>

> The AIX server was joined to a functional Windows 2000 domain in 2015.
>
> The AD server has since been upgraded to functional Windows Server 2003
> sometime since.
>

> They have 2 AD servers - primary is Joe, secondary is Jane.
>
> Joe has encountered severe Registry issues and needs to be taken offline.
>

> The /etc/resolv.conf and smb.conf were updated to point to Jane; inetd was
> refreshed.
>
> The AIX server will no longer allow Samba share access.
>
> Change everything back to Joe, we're good to go again.
>

> While everything is set for Joe:
>
> net ads leave -U administrator%password says ads is not built in.
>
> net rfc leave -U administrator%password says leave is unknown.
>

> If we were to delete the member from AD, we can't join it (as ads isn't
> built in this version).
>

> I think this pushes them into advancing the timetable on their Samba
> upgrade.
>

> Is there anything else to be tried if they can't push up the schedule?

Just about everything you mention is EOL, so you can expect problems.

I personally would add a Samba DC, but before trying this, ensure that
the AD DNS server is upgraded, see here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/817470/how-to-reconfigure-an-msdcs-subdomain-to-a-forest-wide-dns-application

As for what is wrong with the 3.6.23 clients, we are going to have to
see the smb.conf at least.

Rowland