[Samba] Upgrade Samba versions on the domain

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Oct 29 22:05:54 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2019-10-29 at 22:41 +0100, Norbert Hanke via samba wrote:
> On 29.10.2019 22:16, Mircea Husz via samba wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, that should be fine.
> > >
> > > Andrew Bartlett
> > >

> > Can DCs be upgraded forklift-style, as in shutting down the VMs and
> > bringing
> > up new VMs in their place, with the same name and address?
> > Obviously counting
> > on DC replication, which has worked without issues so far.
> >

> If you demote the old DC before shutting down, and then freshly join
> the
> new one: yes that works.

I would start that new DC in the new datacenter first, before you start
demoting.  That way if there are any issues you know while you still
have a full set of DCs running.

Also, modern Samba versions have backup tools, they are a good thing
and running a remote backup first simulates most of a domain join so
finds issues before anything destructive happens.

Andrew Bartlett
--
Andrew Bartlett
https://samba.org/~abartlet/