[Samba] Failed building any Samba version starting with v4.10.0

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Oct 29 21:52:35 UTC 2019

On 29/10/2019 21:06, Norbert Hanke via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> -j 1 did not help here, still that big number of "invalid string offset"
> messages.
>
> Is it the same on your end?
>
> @Rowland: same with you?
Yes, I built 4.11.0 and whilst it configured and seemingly built okay, I
got numerous 'invalid string offset' lines

> I can work around by compiling on and using native Debian Buster
> 64bittish aarch64, based on
> https://people.debian.org/~gwolf/raspberrypi3/20190628/ , but I prefer
> to stay on Raspbian if possible.

This came up a few months ago, see here:

https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2019-April/222211.html

It seems that it possibly has something to do with the rpi reluctance to
move away from a 32bit OS

Rowland