[Samba] Issues accessing ZFS-shares on Linux

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Oct 27 08:47:36 UTC 2019

On 26/10/2019 22:51, tootifrooti via samba wrote:
>> Is there any way to still use systemd to manage smbd or do I have to
>> just always start it manually?
> Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm experiencing a very
> similar problem right now. When running samba via systemd any access to a
> share on a zfs filesystem results in the `make_connection_snum:
> canonicalize_connect_path failed for service <share name>, path
> /path/to/share` error. Running smbd manually does not have the same problem.
>
> However, when I strace smbd (both under systemd and when running myself) I
> can't see any failed lstat calls. As a matter of fact, I can't see the path
> to my share anywhere in the trace at all. This is where my problem is a bit
> different than yours.
>
> SELinux does not report any errors. So I don't think that's to blame?
> I'm running Fedora 30 server and ZoL 0.8.1

Is 'smbd' running ?

Jeremy was replying to the OP (who was running Samba as a standalone
server) but the thread seemed to come to an abrupt end without
conclusion, but, after rereading the the thread, one thing seemed a
possible problem. In the OPs 'smbd' systemd file there was this:
After=network.target nmbd.service winbind.service

Now, I am not a systemd expert, but that seems to say that 'smbd' will
not be started until after the network, nmbd and winbind are started.
This to me is very strange, yes, you definitely want the network up, but
you do not actually need the other two on a standalone server and
'winbind' might not even be installed. If I read it correctly, 'smbd'
will never start if 'winbind' isn't installed.

Rowland