[Samba] SysVol replication (DFS-R)

Sérgio Basto sergio at serjux.com
Fri Oct 25 18:31:45 UTC 2019

Hi,
For me this is the most important feature that we miss in Samba4 AD [1]
.
First, IMHO , I don't see mounting a rsync server as the most easy way
but in that page have a crucial clue [2] which is just write GPO(s) in
the master.

But we need not forget [3] "To use a Sysvol Replication workaround, all
domain controllers (DC) must use the same ID mappings for built-in
users and groups". This sentence should be also write in [1] , I missed
this in one DC and just some months after I did the sync of Built-in
User & Group ID Mappings, after this should I run a full replications
or something like that ? don't have this feature is a big confusion ...

Also in [4], we have unison in Centos 7, so for me is the easy way ,
although unison can sweep all data in seconds (when we copy with
preserve dates it is tricky) so it is more than recommend backup all
file system first. And a better detail of what rsync parameter does on
"Add to Crontab on DC1 Add to Crontab on DC1".
Lastly we may add a notes IIRC for Sync with multiple servers [5]

Thanks.

[1]
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/SysVol_replication_(DFS-R)

[2]
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Rsync_based_SysVol_replication_workaround#Information_on_rsync-based_replication

[3]
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Samba_DC_to_an_Existing_Active_Directory#Built-in_User_.26_Group_ID_Mappings

[4]
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Bidirectional_Rsync/Unison_based_SysVol_replication_workaround

[5]
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/248668/sync-muliple-pcs-with-unison/546309#546309

On Fri, 2019-10-25 at 12:31 +0200, Ivan Jurišić via samba wrote:
> Any plane in future to build-in Samba SysVol replication (DFS-R) ?
>
> For now we have this workaround at link:
>
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Rsync_based_SysVol_replication_workaround
-- ,
Sérgio M. B.