[Samba] Failed when join to an existing Active Directory Domain

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Oct 12 20:17:23 UTC 2019

On 12/10/2019 20:11, Igor Sousa wrote:
> The master DC runs on Debian 7 and samba 4.1.10. I know this is bad
> because both versions are too old, but I'm trying to resolve it with
> upgrade my secondaries DC's. The DC that has failed to join this
> domain runs on CentOS7, kernel release 3.10.0-1062.1.2.el7.x86_64, and
> samba 4.10.2.
>
> I have a friend that know so much about MS solutions (he has MS
> certificate) and he has asked me if Samba ask about to update the
> current forest schema like MS Server ask when a DC with newest version
> has joint on existing domain. Is possible to update the forest schema
> on samba like on MS Server? Is it necessary and the cause of my failed
> to join new DC on my domain?

It has been that long since I used 4.1.x, I had to go and do some
research and yes, it looks like the early Samba DCs used the same DNS
records as a Windows 2000 DC and you jumping straight to 4.10.2 hasn't
fixed it ;-)

Andrew, would I be correct in my theory and if so, would joining as a
4.2 DC fix the dns problem, if not what would ?

Rowland