[Samba] dns replication error due to deleted records

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Oct 11 18:00:59 UTC 2019

On 11/10/2019 18:50, Luca Olivetti via samba wrote:
> El 11/10/19 a les 17:29, Rowland penny via samba ha escrit:
>> On 11/10/2019 16:02, Luca Olivetti via samba wrote:
>>> El 11/10/19 a les 16:59, Luca Olivetti via samba ha escrit:

>>> it's here:
>>>
>>> https://pastebin.com/UFEPvgjX
>>

>> Your main problem appears to be that you have a lot of duplicate
>> objects in the DNSDOMAIN context, these are the records with '0ACNF'
>> in them.
>>
>> Have you stopped your Windows clients from updating their own records ?
>>
>> As you are using dhcp, I would delete all those records (they will
>> get recreated if required), then run on the DC with the PDC Emulator
>> FSMO role:
>>
>> samba-tool drs replicate <destinationDC> <sourceDC>
>
> I'll try this on Monday, but I don't understand why this happened.
> After all I never modified directly the database (I just did that now
> to delete the records that stopped the replication), I only used
> published interfaces (either rsat, policy editor, windows dns or
> samba-tool).
>
> And should I worry about the differences in versionNumber, pwLastSet,
> dnsRecord?
>
> Bye

You are getting collisions, the same data is being added to AD on both
DCs virtually at the same time, on one DC by your dhcp script and on the
other by the Windows client, then replication occurs and you cannot have
two objects with the same DN, so one gets renamed. You need to check if
some of your clients are updating their own dns records and stop them
doing it.

As for the other attributes, hopefully a forced replication will fix those.

Rowland