[Samba] minimum of 'server services' for NT style domain ?

lejeczek peljasz at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 9 09:56:56 UTC 2019

On 09/10/2019 10:08, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> On 09/10/2019 09:47, lejeczek via samba wrote:

>>> I take it by 'services' you mean the 'smbd' , 'nmbd' and 'winbindd'
>>> binaries, if so, then you only need the 'smbd' & 'nmbd' binaries on
>>> both.
>>>
>>> You do not need dns with an NT4-style domain, it uses netbios instead.
>> I meant it as I wrote it 'server services' - as a param in smb.conf
>
> You didn't write 'server services', you said:
friendly advice: read the subjects carefully as you do with the body of
the messages

> list of sevices one should have for NT style domain?
>
> If it is an NT4-style domain, then the answer to your new question is
> none, you shouldn't have the parameter 'server services' in a PDC
> smb.conf.

If it's not there then testparm shows long list of 'server services' and
I'd think, since NT-style is lot more basic, not all are needed there.

I know I do not need dns, dnsupdate, winbindd but I imagine more can be
switched off.

And maybe even less is needed for stand-alone server?

many thanks, L.