[Samba] minimum of 'server services' for NT style domain ?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Oct 9 08:35:00 UTC 2019

On 09/10/2019 09:14, lejeczek via samba wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> what would be an absolute minimum on the list of sevices one should have
> for NT style domain? (userdb in separate LDAP, dns too is in bind9)
>
> And maybe even less need for stand-alone server?
>
> many thanks, L.

I take it by 'services' you mean the 'smbd' , 'nmbd' and 'winbindd'
binaries, if so, then you only need the 'smbd' & 'nmbd' binaries on both.

You do not need dns with an NT4-style domain, it uses netbios instead.

Can I stress how important it is that anyone who is still using an
NT4-style domain upgrades to AD. From Samba 4.11.0, they will no longer
work by default, though you can reconfigure smb.conf to keep them working.

Rowland