[Samba] Failed building any Samba version starting with v4.10.0

Sorin P. psleo2003 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 6 16:50:06 UTC 2019

Hi team.
I've used to be able to successfully build Samba from source starting from version 4.2.3 on Raspbian.I've built and created packages from all minor & major releases until v4.10.0 was released.After that particular version, the "configure" step of the build process gets stuck all the time and never continues.
The platform I'm using for build now is the following:  Model:            Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1
  OS:                 Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) 10 (buster)  Architecture:     armv7l  Kernel:           4.19.66-v7l+
In the past I've used for the build Raspberry 2B, 3B and 3B+ (all running on Raspbian).
I'm thinking that the problem might be caused by the moving to python3 of the build tools but can't figure out exactly what's wrong.I've did a few tests for which I've logged the output:
1. Configure Samba using latest code from branch " v4-9-stable" - without setting any environment variables (build_log_v4.9_not_setting_PYTHON_variable.txt)2. Configure Samba using latest code from branch "v4-10-stable" - without setting any environment variables (build_log_v4.10_not_setting_PYTHON_variable.txt)3. Configure Samba using latest code from branch "v4-10-stable" - setting PYTHON environment variable to "python2 ./configure" (build_log_v4.10_with_python2.txt)

The parameters of the configure command can be seen in the first lines from the log files.I've uploaded the archive with the log files and the output of the "dpkg -l" command to Box because it was too big to attach it to the mail body and the mailing list rejected it initially.

|  |
Box

I'd really appreciate any help in troubleshooting the configure/build process.Thanks a lot!Sorin