[Samba] Samba winbind getgroups lookup

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Oct 3 15:05:28 UTC 2019

On 03/10/2019 15:46, Satay Epic wrote:
> Thank you Rowland for your reply.  My knowledge is limited with Samba
> so please forgive me for any basic mistakes :)
> This is something was setup by a previous admin.
>
> We have had issues where "winbind" will just "give up" and won't let
> anyone login into the host not even from the console.
> I would like to fix that problem so started to investigate the
> configs.  I don't know how to reproduce the issue but the goal is that
> local users
> should be able to login even if winbind is broken.
>
> I'm going to give a try with the settings suggested to see if the
> winbind group lookup doesn't happen for a local user.

The first thing I would do is to upgrade the OS, I do not use RHEL or
any of its derivatives, but I believe the latest versions supply Samba
4.8.3 and this is a lot nearer a Samba supported version than 4.4.x is.

Another question that springs to mind, is sssd installed, if it is, I
would remove it.

Rowland