[Samba] CTDB and nfs-ganesha

Martin Schwenke martin at meltin.net
Thu Oct 3 00:44:08 UTC 2019

Hi Max,

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 14:51:06 +0000, Max DiOrio
<Max.DiOrio at ieeeglobalspec.com> wrote:

> Hi Marin - again thank you for the help.  I can't believe I coundn't
> find any info about this big configuration change.  Even the Samba
> WIKI doesn't really spell this out at all in instructs you to use
> ctdbd.conf.

Can you please point me to that so I can fix it?

> Do I need to enable the 20.nfs_ganesha.check script file at all, or
> will the config itself take care of that?  Also, are there any
> recommendations on which nfs-checks.d checks should still be used in
> the nfs-checks-ganesha?

That check script provides failure detection of the main Ganesha daemon
and attempts service restarts in an attempt to "self heal".  The other
files do something similar for the other RPC services.  For example, if
you're using the standard rpc.statd in your setup then you would also
enable the corresponding check script to detect failures and restart
the RPC service when it fails.

> Gluster, nfs-ganesha, ctdb seems like a great combination that's
> sorely lacking on proper documentation.  I know there's storhaug that
> is supposed to tie this together, but that flat out didn't work for
> me at all, has poor documentation and needed manual edits just to get
> it to work.

I don't have huge amounts of experience setting up NFS Ganesha with
CTDB or I would try to improve that documentation.  If you get this
working nicely and are able to improve the documentation then I and
others would be very grateful.

Note that the example Ganesha support for CTDB is very close to
something used by products that use (or used) this combination.  So, it
should be relatively easy to get working.

For storhaug, you could look up José Rivera's email address on
https://www.samba.org/samba/team/ and CC: him on an email to this list,
asking about the status of storhaug.  He may be able to help.

The main problem is that available development and documentation time
is limited.  :-(

peace & happiness,
martin