[Samba] Upgrade DC 4.5 -> 4.8, timings?

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Oct 2 12:42:53 UTC 2019

Well, if you want Rowland to hear us..
You should have send this one to the list.  ;-)

On the "which first" here there are different opinions.

My opinion is, if you systems is running correctly,
it does not matter if you start with the DC with FSMO or not.

But Note, this is my opinion and base on my experience.

I've always done the server with FSMO first, why? .. Ough..
Thats something that goes back years, which i cant recall why..
I also must say why this does not matter to me.
If i start to upgrade my DC's, i follow these exact steps.

- pick DC1.
1- clear logs.
2- reboot, check logs, fix everthing i see.
3- reboot, verify everything again, repeat above untill there are 0 errors (or warnings).
4- ok? Then
	5- down all of the AD-DC
	6- snapshot all AD-DC's
	7- start all AD-DC's
	( this take me about 3-5 min for all my DC's. )
8- And i start upgrading, one DC at at time.
9- If first DC is upgraded, goto 1- again.
10- if -1 checks ok, next server, if not goto 2-
	- If the first DC fails, i revert back to the first snapshot.
	  And find the source of the upgrade problem fix in in advance, then goto 1-
	- If the second DC fails, then that systems is off with its settings, goto 1- for DC2.

And repeat per DC.

Greetz,

Louis