[Samba] Removed a DC but...

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Wed Oct 2 07:47:06 UTC 2019

Har Marco,

> Now, i need to upgrade (finally!) to something more fresh then 4.5.
Congratulations, finaly..  ;-)

> It is advise to cleanup (manually?) old dns records and do
> the upgrade, or i can safely upgrade to, eg, 4.8 and then do something like:
>
> 	samba-tool domain demote
> --remove-other-dead-server=vdcud1.ad.fvg.lnf.it -U gaio
>
> to have better chance to cleanup data?

The "what" or How you remove it does not really matter ( in your case of 4.5.x )
You must cleanup AD and DNS.

I just use the ADUC for AD and DNS tool in windows and remove all unneeded entries.
In the dns the _msdc.dom... Just go carefully through there and remove all references to the old server.
Then when its all done, verify it, with samba-tools dbcheck and replication.

This should not give any problems.

> Thanks.
Your welkom,

Louis