[Samba] Upgrade DC 4.5 -> 4.8, timings?

Andre Kirchhoff andre at rauh.net
Tue Oct 1 19:48:51 UTC 2019

Ciao, Marco.

When upgrading your DCs to a new Debian major release using Louis VanBelle repo, make sure you replace the release on both ‘/etc/apt/sources.list’ and ‘/etc/apt/sources.list.d/van-belle.list’ (ie. jessie -> stretch) before “apt update”.

Failing this simple step is a pain to fix, but other than that upgrades are smooth and straightforward.

Should be fine running Samba 4.5 & 4.8 mixed, just watch for some config changes: https://downloads.van-belle.nl/samba4/Upgrade-info.txt

You can start upgrading the FSMO (transferring roles in samba now is simple even with the FSMO offline) but you avoid potential extra work starting on other DCs. Check replication, let sit for a while, check some more. If all is well, time to upgrade another DC.

André.