[Samba] security=domain fails after upgr. to 4.9, winbind doesn't help

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Nov 28 17:31:00 UTC 2019

On 28/11/2019 16:46, Frank Steiner via samba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we've problems getting samba shares to work after upgrading from 4.7
> to 4.9. We have one samba PDC server providing some shares and the
> users via local passdb.tdb file. Its smb.conf (names/ips changed):
>
> [global]
>         security = user
>         encrypt passwords = yes
>         passdb backend = tdbsam:/etc/samba/passdb.tdb
>         workgroup = OURWORKGROUP
>         netbios name = SERVER1
>         server string = main server
>         map untrusted to domain = Yes
>
>         local master = yes
>         preferred master = yes
>         domain master = yes
>         os level = 255
>         wins support = yes
>
>         dns proxy = yes
>         name resolve order = host wins bcast
>
>         hosts allow = <our networks>

OK, 'testparm' thinks the above is a standalone server:

testparm testsmb.conf
Load smb config files from testsmb.conf
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

Remove 'map untrusted to domain = Yes', it has been removed.

Add 'domain logons = Yes'

This gets it back to being a PDC:

testparm testsmb.conf
Load smb config files from testsmb.conf
Loaded services file OK.
idmap range not specified for domain '*'
ERROR: Invalid idmap range for domain *!

Server role: ROLE_DOMAIN_PDC

Yes, I know there is a different error, but this can be fixed if necessary.

Rowland