[Samba] hp-ux samba windows client fails to delete directory

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Nov 28 12:29:16 UTC 2019

On 28/11/2019 10:13, Kumar, Arjit (SSTO) wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> I am able to re-produce the same behavior with samba 4.10.0 on Ubuntu 1904 as it was on hp-ux with samba 4.9.0.
>
> Scenario:-
> 1.      Configure samba as PDC and start smbd and nmbd daemons.
Do not create a new NT4-style domain, they depend on SMBv1 and this is
going away
> 2.      Map samba share on 2 Windows PC#1 and PC#2 with same credentials created by pdbedit -a  command
> 3.      Windows PC#1 creates two directories, \FOLDER_A\FOLDER_B in the Samba share
> 4.      Change directory to \
> 5.      Windows PC#2 changes from a current directory to \FOLDER_A\FOLDER_B (i.e., user on PC#2 is accessing FOLDER_B under FOLDER_A and session is active)
> 6.      Windows PC#1 tries to delete \FOLDER_A
> Sometimes, \FOLDER_A\FOLDER_B gets deleted but not \FOLDER_A, while sometime both  \FOLDER_A and , \FOLDER_A\FOLDER_B got deleted.
> 7.      Same behavior is seen when doing those operations using smbclient on HP-UX
>
> NOTE: If no user is accessing FOLDER_B, removal of FOLDER_A is successful.
>
> Please help me understand what should be the expected behavior in such scenario.
>
> Output of testparm command with samba 4.10.0 on Ubuntu 1904.
>
> /etc/samba# testparm -v
Do not post the output of 'testparm -v', it outputs EVERYTHING, your
settings and ALL the default settings. Either post the output of 'cat
/path/to/smb.conf' or the output of 'testparm'.
> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> Loaded services file OK.
> WARNING: The 'netbios name' is too long (max. 15 chars).

Just about all I am going to comment on is the above, your netbios name
and hence your computers hostname is too long.

Rowland