[Samba] Error while trying to manage file share

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Nov 27 20:29:15 UTC 2019

On 27/11/2019 20:18, Marian Thieme wrote:
> First of all I would like to thank you for your help !
>
> Secondly, I think I got you wrong: My local users are just system
> users. So I don't have to worry about /etc/passwd. No collision to
> expect And that's why I think I am safe with the range. Actually you
> are right, I should allow for local users that might be created in
> future maybe for administration and "reserve"  uids in range like
> 1000-1050. At this point this will be no problem at all.
>
> Regarding the doc: I was referring to the Info Box just below Section:
> "Granting the SeDiskOperatorPrivilege Privilege" on website:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_Share_Using_Windows_ACLs
> And I followed the docs you mentioned for setting up the domain member.
> However the initial problem is solved, somehow, because I am able to
> use MMC to initially assign User "everyone". If I understood
> correctly, having assigned user everyone as security group to the
> share, I am then able to maintain perms and ownerships just via folder
> properties after connecting the network share with some admin user
> account to some windows box.
> I am wondering if I have to take care about the errors I mentioned
> while connecting to the samba file server using MMC. Or is it save to
> ignore it ?
>
> Marian

It is fairly common to get errors using ADUC similar to yours, normally
it is possible to click through them and then everything works, if this
is your case, just ignore them.

Can I also introduce you to the wonderful world of 'samba-tool', this
can do a lot of what ADUC does, but on the Unix command line, just open
a terminal on the Samba AD DC and type 'samba-tool --help' for more info.

Rowland