[Samba] moved DM config to new server : gids different etc

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Nov 27 12:01:17 UTC 2019

On 27/11/2019 10:12, Stefan G. Weichinger via samba wrote:
> (resend 2 ... blocked again)
>
> Am 27.11.19 um 11:02 schrieb Rowland penny via samba:
>
>>> I now have the name of the domain and the IPs of the DCs etc ... so I
>>> could theoretically start from scratch more or less and *maybe* switch
>>> to backend AD here.
>>>
>> Do you use the AD DCs for anything other than authentication and GPOs ?
>>
>> If you do, then the 'ad' backend is the way to go, if you don't, then
>> stick to the 'rid' backend, it is a lot less work, you do not need to
>> add anything to AD, the only real downside is that all users get the
>> same home directory path and login shell on each Unix domain member.
> I also prefer staying with 'rid', yes. thanks.
>
> Just checking with krb and resolv.conf etc (correcting the domain).
>
> How would you recommend to proceed here:
>
> right now the "fallback hardware" is running as DM, with the server name
> "samba" and the final IP.
>
> Unjoin the fallback server before shutting it down ... ? To move the
> name and IP over to the new system?
Yes, I would 'leave' the domain and then give it a new IP and possibly a
new hostname (depending on what you are going to call the new Unix
domain member). You could then re-join the domain.

> I mean, I will have to prepare the new system in parallel and keep the
> downtime low ... and avoid duplicate names etc
Now prepare your new Unix domain member, join it to the domain and then
copy the required data from the old machine to the new machine. Once you
have transferred everything from 'old' to 'new', you can 'leave' the
domain on the 'old' machine and turn it off.

> Maybe I overcomplicate things ;-)

Not really ;-)

Rowland