[Samba] moved DM config to new server : gids different etc

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Wed Nov 27 09:52:18 UTC 2019

Am 26.11.19 um 18:06 schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger via samba:
> Am 26.11.19 um 17:19 schrieb L.P.H. van Belle:
>> Hai Stefan,
>>
>> Remove the netbios alias and then put that as CNAME in the DNS
>> Verify if the server its PTR is set also.
>>
>> And yeah, your totaly correct that your ACL is messed up..
>> Because your using backend RID.
>>
>> The "advantage" of backend AD.
>> Consistent IDs on all Samba clients and servers using the ad back end.
>>
>> Which is also the DISAVANTAGE of RID.
>> IN-Consistent IDs on all Samba clients and servers with RID.
>>

>> Maybe im bit wrong here, with recent updates, .. Then Rowland will correct me.. ;-)
>> But this is exactly why i ONLY use AD backends.
>>
>> I suggest, setup a folder, correct the rights, and use get-set facl to apply them again on the filesystem/folders/files.
>
> Not now, not today.
>
> That server will be replaced in the next days, and today is a stressful
> and long day already.
>
> Things *worked* fine with this smb.conf for quite some time, so even
> when I understand the better approach you recommend, I won't do these
> changes right now.

OK; new server comes today, I get access to it in the next hours and
will start installing Debian Buster and run my provisioning on it first.

I now have the name of the domain and the IPs of the DCs etc ... so I
could theoretically start from scratch more or less and *maybe* switch
to backend AD here.