[Samba] 4.9.x -> 4.10.x : any major things to consider?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Nov 26 21:02:09 UTC 2019

On 26/11/2019 20:54, Stefan G. Weichinger via samba wrote:
> Am 26.11.19 um 21:37 schrieb Rowland penny via samba:
>
>> Ah, that could be worded better ;-)
>>
>> What it means is:
>>
>> If a DC fails for some reason and is stopped and then demoted on another
>> DC (the failed DC is no longer a DC), you must not simply fix the old DC
>> and restart it. This is because the domain no longer recognises the
>> demoted DC, but it will still think it is a DC and will try to replicate
>> to and from the domain, this will destroy your domain.
> So if I not only fix DC-old but install it from scratch (= clean
> /var/lib/samba ... anything else?) that will work?

If you can fix a DC within a short time and do not demote it, you can
restart it.

If you cannot fix a DC and demote it, you should start again and re-join
it as a new DC (even if it does have the same hostname etc).

Never remotely demote a DC and then restart it without re-joining it to
the domain.

Rowland