[Samba] 4.9.x -> 4.10.x : any major things to consider?

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Tue Nov 26 20:23:25 UTC 2019

Am 26.11.19 um 20:53 schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger via samba:
> Am 26.11.19 um 20:50 schrieb Rowland penny via samba:

>>> So you suggest to let the domain run on ADC1 only ... and do the
>>> demoting etc tmrw ?
>>>
>>> Sounds right. Although it would also feel good to fix it before bed.
>>>

>> If the domain is going to get little use overnight, then yes, you could
>> do this, but I was really referring to not doing things when you are
>> tired ;-)
>>
>> If you are going to let the domain run overnight on one DC, then I would
>> demote the second DC before you go home ;-)
>
> I *am* at home, that's even more sad ;-)
>
> And why not "rejoin" as well ... ?

I think I won't demote right now and just leave it as it is. So far the
shares etc work fine ...

the samba-ad-dc.service doesn't even start so I assume it won't make
much difference (no communication anyway)? I could shutdown the whole
server.

-

I plan to demote DC2 ("adc2"= hostname) remotely tomorrow.

After that I would like to learn how to re-add it.

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Demoting_a_Samba_AD_DC#Demoting_an_Offline_Domain_Controller

says:

"You must not reconnect a DC to the network, that was demoted remotely.
Your AD can get inconsistent."

which scares me a bit. What does that mean exactly? I have to reconnect
with the same old hostname, but is it sufficient if I clear
adc2:/var/lib/samba before to make it a brandnew machine?

thanks all, good night and good backups