[Samba] moved DM config to new server : gids different etc

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Nov 26 16:15:39 UTC 2019

On 26/11/2019 16:00, Stefan G. Weichinger via samba wrote:
> Last week the mobo in a DM server died, so we had to set up a fallback
> machine and reinstall Debian 10.2 including Samba
>
> I had smb.conf but not /var/lib/samba in backups.
>
> Restored krb5.conf and smb.conf, rejoined.
>
> Things work mostly ...
>
> but for example I get gid 10006 for "domain users" instead of 10513 before.
>
> and getent group doesn't show the AD groups, btw

This is very strange, just about the only thing I would really change in
your smb.conf is to remove these lines:

unix extensions = no
follow symlinks= yes
wide links= yes

And they cannot have anything to do with your problem.

The ID for Domain Users (when using the 'rid' backend) is calculated
from this:

ID = RID + LOW_RANGE_ID

The RID for Domain Users is always '513' and your domain low range is
'10000', so it becomes:

ID = 513 + 10000

So 'ID' == 10513

What packages have you installed to get Samba working on your new server ?

Rowland