[Samba] Samba4 - Printer Drivers install fails

Denis Cardon dcardon at tranquil.it
Mon Nov 25 10:36:57 UTC 2019

Hi Julien,

Le 11/21/2019 à 12:03 PM, Julien TEHERY via samba a écrit :

> Any idea of what the problem is?
>

> The printer drivers are:
>
> - impxeroxc405        imprimante Xerox Versalink c405
>
> - impxeroxc8030      imprimante Xerox Altalink c8030
> - lexxc4140              imprimante Lexmark XC 4140

reading through the thread it looks like you are doing all the right
things. I remember having fought with Xerox drivers and Samba-CUPS in
the past (seems like you driver is quite old since it still reference
windows Vista). I gave up at that time and installed a Windows print
server because of a Xerox driver. Like Marco was saying, some driver are
just unable to upload on the server.

Actually it is not necessary to have the driver on the print server, you
can deploy the driver with another mean. If the driver is pre-installed
locally (through a software deployment tool like WAPT or SSCM), you just
have to match the string of the driver on the server in the print queue
configuration. You can edit the print queue configuration through
network registry (or samba_registry), and add the Printer Driver
attribute with the proper string (just look at a properly configured
queue for comparison).

Or you can automate print queue configuration directly on the
workstation and avoid print server altogether. If there is no accounting
or auditing/tracing, direct printing is also be a good solution, once
configuration is automated.

Cheers,

Denis

--