[Samba] Is it possible to re-share a SMB2 filesystem for SMB1 clients?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Nov 20 18:26:04 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-11-20 at 18:07 +0100, Alexander via samba wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm having the following situation:
>
> I need to migrate all SMB file services to a new appliance that only
> supports the SMB2+ protocol. Unfortunately, there are still some very
> old Linux clients ("modinfo cifs" says version 1.60) that do only speak
> SMB1 and need to access these shares after the migration.
>
> Is it possible to have a Linux with a modern Samba implementation
> "re-sharing" the SMB2 shares for SMB1 clients?

The best suggestion with existing code is to have a VM that hosts a
current version of Samba (still supporting SMB1) and mounts a SMB2
share with mount.cifs.

The other option, subject to development funding, if there is
sufficient demand, is that perhaps some folks in your situation could
revive the SMB2 proxy backend for the 'NTVFS' file server, which
currently has an SMB1 proxy.  That partially complete code was only
removed recently and perhaps could be brought back up to a level for
production use.

This may be of some value for folks who are in your situation and help
us drop the SMB1 code in smbd.

Andrew Bartlett