[Samba] Smbstatus shows same share for same client several times - related to locking issues?

Billich Heinrich Rainer (ID SD) heinrich.billich at id.ethz.ch
Wed Nov 20 16:57:15 UTC 2019

Hello,

we frequently face locking issues with office applications and documents on samba shares. The office applications claim that the document is locked and hence no write access is possible.  I can check on the samba server that there is no concurrent access/locking from other computers or users. It looks like the same user holds some lock and is denied to access the document because it’s locked?

In the output of smbstatus I see the same share/pid/ip listed several times with different timestamps

share_1 1:84889 x.y.z.156  Wed Nov 20 07:53:53 2019 CET     -            -
share_1 1:84889 x.y.z.156  Wed Nov 20 10:26:10 2019 CET     -            -
share_1 1:84889 x.y.z.156  Wed Nov 20 13:28:06 2019 CET     -

I wonder what this describe – did the same client connect three times to the same service? Are all three connections (sessions?) active in parallel or did the first two fail/terminate on the client side and samba didn’t notice?

At the same time smbstatus shows a lock with a timestamp fitting into the ‘first’ session

1:84889      19459      DENY_WRITE 0x12019f    RDWR       NONE             /fs2201/share_1   some/path/191120_RC.docx   Wed Nov 20 09:37:25 2019

Later if  the same user tries to access the word-document at  10:50 Word denies write access. I wonder if the lock taken at 09:37 belongs to the first session and later at 10:50 the second session is active and samba denies write access?

I will welcome any explanation or clarification.

We run samba 4.9.8 with ctdb in a clustered setup (IBM spectrum scale)

Kind regards,

Heiner

--
Heinrich Billich