[Samba] Newby questions about using samba

William Lugg luggw1 at risebroadband.net
Sat Nov 16 21:15:09 UTC 2019

I did as instructed and it works.  After I sent the last email, I pulled
up the Thunar file manager on the client machine, browsed the network
and to my surprise the host machine appeared in the list.  I opened it
and data_server was there waiting for me. So I logged in and was able to
read and write files successfully.

If I look at file properties for files placed in the share from the
client side, I note that the user and group in the shared folder is root
(root) on both the client and host.  However, I can open and edit them
as a regular user, which makes sense as user, group and others all have
rw access.  Is this as it should be?

Win10 was also successful once I figured out not to include the shared
folder name in the path.

Thanks so much for your help.  Like I said at the outset, I know enough
about these things to get myself into trouble.  :o)
Bill Lugg