[Samba] Newby questions about using samba

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Nov 16 20:43:15 UTC 2019

On 16/11/2019 20:22, William Lugg via samba wrote:
> Here's what I got:
>
> Anonymous login successful
>
>     Sharename       Type      Comment
>     ---------       ----      -------
>     data_server     Disk
>     IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 4.7.6-Ubuntu)
> Reconnecting with SMB1 for workgroup listing.
> Anonymous login successful
>
>     Server               Comment
>     ---------            -------
>
>     Workgroup            Master
>     ---------            -------
>     WORKGROUP            HOMENETWORK
> It looks pretty similar to yours in form.
>
> Bill Lugg

OK, we now know that Samba is running and that you have a share.

go to another Linux machine, open a terminal and type this:

smbclient //shorthostname/data_server -U username

Replace 'shorthostname' with the Samba servers short hostname and
'username' with the Samba user you created.

You should get prompted for the users password, after entering the
password, you should get this:

Try "help" to get a list of possible commands.
smb: \>

If it doesn't work, try with the Samba servers ipaddress instead of the
hostname.

Type 'q' to exit

If this works, then try again from Windows.

If it doesn't, check that the share directory exists and that your user
has permission to enter and write to it.

Rowland