[Samba] Newby questions about using samba

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Nov 16 08:30:17 UTC 2019

On 16/11/2019 01:20, William Lugg wrote:
> I have Win10 Home.
>
> I read through the corresponding link and followed the instructions
> pretty much to the letter, just changing names, and removing guest
> access because I don't want it.  When I test it using smbclient on the
> server, I get "Connection to data_server failed (Error
> NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL)".
>
> Here is my smb.conf:
> [global]
>     log file = /var/log/samba/%m
>     log level = 1
>     workgroup = workgroup
>
> [guest]
>     guest ok = no
>
> [data_server]
>     path = /home/sambashare
>     read only = no
> Everything else was completed as described at
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Standalone_Server.
>
> Any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong or how I can troubleshoot this?
>
> Thanks
> Bill Lugg

OK, if I remove the default lines from your smb.conf, it becomes this:

[global]
     log file = /var/log/samba/%m
     log level = 1

[guest]

[data_server]
     path = /home/sambashare
     read only = no

You may as well remove [guest], it is doing nothing.

Did you create a Samba user with 'smbpasswd -a username' and did
'username' exist as a Unix user ?

It is possible your problem is because, whilst your version of Samba is
using ntlm auth, your Win10 machine isn't, turn on SMBv1 on your Win10
to confirm this.

As your Linux Mint machine appears to be using Samba 4.3.11 (which is
EOL as far as Samba is concerned), you might want to upgrade.

Rowland