[Samba] mixing Windows ACL and POSIX ACL shares on one server?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Nov 14 21:51:41 UTC 2019

On Thu, 2019-11-14 at 21:45 +0100, Matthias Leopold via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I posted a similar question in 2018 with no answers, so I'll try
> again:
> Is it possible to have shares with Windows ACLs and shares with
> POSIX
> ACLs on the same server (security = user)? Since share permissions
> are
> handled differently for both types of shares I'm not sure if this
> will
> work. I know I could try it out myself, but the question again just
> came
> to my mind and I think there will be clear answer by someone who
> knows.

Yes, use acl_xattr to store the windows acl if you want that handled
faithfully.  The last ACL to be set will win.

If you set a POSIX ACL then any windows ACL that has been set will be
ignored.  If you set a windows ACL on the same file then it will be
translated into posix and also stored.

So, the idea is that it would 'just work'.

Andrew Bartlett
--
Andrew Bartlett
https://samba.org/~abartlet/