[Samba] winbind : suspend nightmare

Jon Gerdes gerdesj at blueloop.net
Wed Nov 13 13:57:11 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2019-11-12 at 18:09 +0100, Marco Gaiarin wrote:
> Mandi! Jon Gerdes via samba
>   In chel di` si favelave...
>
> > I am probably missing something fundamental here, somewhere.
>
> Only to say, another time, that i suffer the same 'feeling', not for
> laptop but for a domain member that hold user services (SMTP, IMAP,
> ...).
>
> EG, in 'some circumstances' (for me: when i reboot the DC where that
> particular DM seems connected to) the NSS part of winbind reply 'user
> not found'; i need to:
>
>  - restart winbind on the DM, or
>  - wait 'some time' (2-5 minutes)
>
> to get it back.
>

> Seems exactly your behaviour, Jon.

That does sound the same as my case.  I'm going to do some more
experimentation.  wbinfo queries winbind directly, bypassing NSS which
should help point point where it is failing.

I'm also going to look into mitigating it with hooks in Network
Manager/systemd which "knows" what connections are up and running.
Restarting winbind on a laptop is quick and wont disturb anyone else.

Cheers
Jon