[Samba] Migrating from 4.1.0 AD Server to new Server 4.11.2

Juan Ignacio juan.ignacio.pazos at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 18:50:49 UTC 2019

Hello:

I have a production server running with samba AD 4.1.0 and i want to
virtualize it and use the moment to update it.

We currently use the LDAP service provided by samba to authenticate Moodle
and Other services.

The new server OS  going to be the latest version of Debian on a VM Proxmox.

I currently have backups of etc, private and sysvol made with the samba
backup script.

I cannot turn off the current server, but I can do things on the VM without
shutting down the currently used server.

I would like to receive some recommendation or what would be the correct
process for this type of update, I have read the samba page and I could see
that there are several services like winbind, LDAP and others that changed.

I really appreciate your help.

John P.