[Samba] "samba-tool backup offline" stuck

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Nov 10 20:41:22 UTC 2019

On Fri, 2019-11-08 at 17:22 +0100, Andrea Venturoli via samba wrote:
> Hello.
>
> After upgrading some DCs (in different domains) to 4.10, I'm trying
> take backups with samba-tool.
>
> I'm not using "online" backups, as they require typing a password,
> so
> are not usable in a script.
>
> IIUIC, "offline" backups can be used even if Samba is running.
> However, they seem to get stuck:
>
> > root at dc1:~ # samba-tool domain backup offline --targetdir
> > /var/tmp/DC1_Backup
> > Creating targetdir /var/tmp/DC1_Backup...
> > running backup on dirs: /var/db/samba4/private /var/db/samba4
> > /usr/local/etc
> > Starting transaction on /var/db/samba4/private/secrets
>
> After half an hour, no news...
>
> If I press [ctrl-t]:
> > load: 0.38  cmd: tdbbackup 39264 [lockf] 3138.57r 0.00u 0.00s 0%
> > 2560k
>

> Any hint?
> (This is a FreeBSD 11.3/amd64 jail).
>
>   bye & Thanks
> 	av.

Is this unpatched Samba, and what is the full backtrace on that
tdbbackup?

It looks like tdbbackup cannoto proceed due to outstanding locks held
by other parts of Samba, however the referece to lockf makes me worried
that for some reason full fcntl locks are not in use.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett
https://samba.org/~abartlet/