[Samba] winbind : suspend nightmare

Jon Gerdes gerdesj at blueloop.net
Sat Nov 9 23:40:35 UTC 2019

(Sorry for delay - hols)

On Fri, 2019-10-25 at 09:24 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 11:33:40PM +0000, Jon Gerdes via samba wrote:

> I haven't depended on a AD-DC for my network logons for
> many years I'm afraid, so I've not had to depend on this :-).

Fair enough and I'd rather not either but this is my last outstanding
issue before Linux on the desktop takes over the world *cough*.
Actually desktop is fine, it's laptops that give me gyp!

> I still don't understand why having winbind probe for
> network connectivity (DNS lookup) every 30 seconds once
> it loses connectivity to the DC is the wrong thing to
> do ?

I found the winbind reconnect delay = n parameter a while back and have
it set to 5.  I also have offline logins enabled and I don't think that
is working as I think it should

* Lift lid on laptop - it wakes up or whatever
* Can't unlock screen at ssdm prompt
* Switch to a console with a root prompt running already
* "id gerdesj" outputs user unknown (also wbinfo -u doesn't know me)
* smbcontrol winbind offline and then online - no change
* systemctl restart winbind - id gerdesj works and off we trot

If I leave the box for ages (not precisely defined but more than a
minute) then everything will start working again. My home wifi
reconnects in a second or so.

I would expect that if AD was unavailable then the offline login stuff
would kick in instead as per a Windows box.  If I force winbind to
offline via smbcontrol, should I be able to login if offline logins are
enabled in smb.conf (winbind offline logon = yes)?

I am probably missing something fundamental here, somewhere.

Cheers
Jon