[Samba] Fwd: LARGE folder/filesystem shared to Win 2k.

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 19:07:46 UTC 2019

On Sat, Nov 9, 2019 at 9:13 AM Duffy W. via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi all. Got a strange question for you (it's for an industrial setting.)
>
> I have a large folder (15TB) on a *buntu server that I'd like to have
> available to a Windows 2000 Server VM machine (don't ask.)
>
> The host filesystem is ext4, but Samba shouldn't care about that.
>
> What I'm wondering is will Windows be able to access/utilize all the
> space on that, or is it going to start erroring out at Windows' max
> partition size?
>
> (I've looked around and I can't find where anyone's addressed the
> question, and I don't particularly want to tinker with a client's old
> bubble-gum-and-duct-tape setup to test.  We're replacing it eventually
> but for now, we just kinda need to get it working.)

I'd worry more about the file system confusion for files that have
mixed case, where "filename.t" is distinct from "FileName.txt"

In this situation, Windows does not see the filesystem. It sees
network supported access to a filesystem about which it knows nothing
else. Now, it may get unhappy if the directories have many thousands
of files in them at the top of the same directory, which I *have* seen
cause performance issues. (Especially with Subversion with a set of
old source control issues.)