[Samba] Samba, Debian and upgrade path...

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Nov 7 15:45:42 UTC 2019

Hai Marco,

Great, so now you have even more options, so i'll show them :-)

If you look good.. You see it..

I'll show, how i do it.
My samba versions|debian officials.
Jessie 4.5-4.8	4.2.14(debian)
Stretch 4.6-4.10	4.5.16(debian)
Buster  4.10-4.11 4.9.5(debian)
Bullseye(testing)	4.11.1-2(debian)

J => 4.5 => 4.6 => 4.7 => 4.8
S           4.6 => 4.7 => 4.8 => 4.9 => 4.10
B                                       4.10 => 4.11.2

*1 If you want to switch back to debian offcial packages.
  Stop at 4.8 on stretch, upgrade to buster and your done, note, you loose spotlight support.
  It not enabled in Debian testing/unstable, its waiting for the fix on build-depends agains librt/libc things,
  so it pull less extra packages in.

And this is how i do it here in the office.
There is always an version in both distros your coming from and upgrading to.
Thats the version you need to pick, or at least what i advice to pick.

Sure you can upgrade from a Stretch 4.8 to buster 4.11 in one go.
I just dont advice it, because then you have to handle and a distro upgrade and a samba upgrade.
And thats more prone to failures.
You might miss upgrade parts which are done in version your skipping. (AD DB upgrades for example)

I just avoid possible problems this way.

Greetz,

Louis