[Samba] Recent inability to view long filenames stored with scp via samba mount

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Nov 3 22:40:14 UTC 2019

On Sun, 2019-11-03 at 12:11 +0000, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> On 03/11/2019 11:37, Michael Lueck via samba wrote:
> > Greetings Samba team,
> >
> > It has been a long time since I needed to ask a Samba technical
> > question.
> >
> > Server and workstation are both running the latest Samba packages
> > via
> > Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I recently applied the security updates...
> > actually
> > that was yesterday I applied them.
> >

> Problem is that 4.3.x is EOL from the Samba point of view, so the
> Security updates were not backported by Samba, they must have been
> backported by Ubuntu. There have also been numerous changes between
> 4.3.x and current supported Samba versions, so your problem may have
> been fixed already, but if it isn't, then it is unlikely to be fixed
> in
> your current version.

I agree, if I read the thread correctly, that is it worked with
2:4.3.11+dfsg-0ubuntu0.16.04.21 but fails with 2:4.3.11+dfsg-
0ubuntu0.16.04.23 then this is very likely a regression, either an
upstream problem we haven't seen yet or bad backport.

But something doesn't add up here.  The patches for Samba's client in
the recent security relese don't change long file names, indeed the
server-side isn't even changed.  The patches just hard-disconnect from
the server if we get a /.  Also, the client in use here is the CIFS
kernel client (invoked from mount.cifs), not Samba.

> I suggest you upgrade to 18.04 and use the Samba packages from here:
>
> http://apt.van-belle.nl/
>
> If the problem still persists, then you will need to file a bug
> report,
> but lets not cross that bridge until we come to it.

It may well be a kernel bug actually.  Michael:  the same issue would
affect the linux kernel client, did you get a kernel security update at
a similar time?

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett