[Samba] Samba DC to Samba NT4 Domain Trust

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Nov 1 08:22:59 UTC 2019

On 01/11/2019 00:21, Vex Mage wrote:

> SAMBAAD:
> [global]
> dns forwarder = 128.111.41.10
> netbios name = SAMBAAD.ENGR.UCSB.EDU <http://SAMBAAD.ENGR.UCSB.EDU>
> realm = SAMBAAD.ENGR.UCSB.EDU <http://SAMBAAD.ENGR.UCSB.EDU>
> server role = active directory domain controller
> workgroup = SAMBAAD
> idmap_ldb:use rfc2307 = yes
> allow nt4 crypto = yes

Lets start by trying to fix your DC ;-)

This will probably involve starting again, you cannot have the same
realm and netbios name, you cannot use the the dns domain (in uppercase
or not) for the netbios name.

netbios name = The computers short hostname in uppercase

realm = The DNS domain in uppercase

Workgroup = This is usually the left hand part of the DNS domain (but
can be anything) in uppercase

I think your provision line should be this:

samba-tool domain provision --use-rfc2307 --realm=SAMBAAD.ENGR.UCSB.EDU
--domain=SAMBAAD --server-role=dc --adminpass=PASSWORD

If it was very similar and you haven't altered the Samba DC smb.conf,
then can I suggest you download and run this:

https://github.com/thctlo/samba4/blob/master/samba-collect-debug-info.sh

Run it on the DC and post the output in a post (do not attach it, this
list strips attachments).

Rowland