[Samba] Inconsistency with LANMAN1 and Samba 4.9

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri May 31 20:07:16 UTC 2019

On Fri, 2019-05-31 at 11:40 -0700, Jeremy Allison via samba wrote:

> > > You may be running into this code in passdb:
> > >
> > > bool pdb_set_plaintext_passwd(struct samu *sampass, const char *plaintext)
> > > {
> > >          if (!E_deshash(plaintext, new_lanman_p16)) {
> > >                  /* E_deshash returns false for 'long' passwords (> 14
> > >                     DOS chars).  This allows us to match Win2k, which
> > >                     does not store a LM hash for these passwords (which
> > >                     would reduce the effective password length to 14 */
> > >
> > >                  if (!pdb_set_lanman_passwd (sampass, NULL, PDB_CHANGED))
> > >                          return False;
> > >          } else {
> > >                  if (!pdb_set_lanman_passwd (sampass, new_lanman_p16, PDB_CHANGED))
> > >                          return False;
> > >          }
> > >
> > > Is the password greater that 14 characters ? If so, looks like
> > > we won't store it.
> >
> > No, it has 8 characters. And I tried to enter the hash manually into the
> > smbpasswd, which didn't work either. It is as if samba 4.9.4 would
> > ignore lanman completely.
>
> Hmmm. Sounds like a bug. Are you able to use gdb to
> walk through the call stack to debug ?
>
> If not someone here will do it, but you might have
> to wait a while (log a bug at bugzilla.samba.org
> so we can track it) as getting LANMAN auth working
> is low priority (it's completely insecure I'm afraid).

We honour 'lanman auth' and don't store it if set, but that much has
been the same for a long time, but if the hash is being injected
manually that won't be it.

It might be further up the stack, like requirements for SPNEGO, ntlmv2
etc.

Andreas,

Can you post your smb.conf and check your logs for helpful messages?
(turn up the log level until you get some).

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett