[Samba] Windows 7 User can't change password

Luke Barone lukebarone at gmail.com
Fri May 31 17:03:56 UTC 2019

Hi list,

Windows 7 Pro, joined to an NT-style domain hosted by Samba 4.5.16-Debian,
installed by Apt. A user had issues authenticating with FreeRADIUS on the
server, so I changed the password from terminal to a generic password, and
logged her in. I then asked her to change her password by pressing
Ctrl+Alt+Delete -> Change Password. I typed in the generic password, and
told her to type in her new password, following our password rules, and
pressing Enter. She keeps getting "Username or password incorrect".

Below is my smb.conf file, as outputted by "testparm -s":
# Global parameters
[global]
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        interfaces = eth0 127.0.0.1
        netbios name = SAMBA
        server string = ""
        workgroup = WORKGROUPNAME
        domain master = Yes
        preferred master = Yes
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /var/lib/nobody -g 100 -s
/bin/false -M %u
        domain logons = Yes
        logon drive = h:
        logon script = login.bat
        allow insecure wide links = Yes
        name resolve order = wins host bcast
        server max protocol = NT1
        unix extensions = No
        check password script = /usr/local/sbin/complex_PW_check
        pam password change = Yes
        passwd chat = *new*password* %n\n *new*password* %n\n *updated*
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        security = USER
        unix password sync = Yes
        wins support = Yes
        idmap config * : backend = tdb
        printing = lprng
        admin users = machine

(Yes, I know insecure wide links are vulnerable, but I was over-ruled)

Thoughts on why Windows 7 won't let the user change their own password? I
don't know when this issue started.